KDE Multimedia Sprint QuickSand, day 1
For those who know what QuickSand is you may wonder "What is the relationship between QuickSand and Multimedia/Edu?" the answer to that question is quick and short, none :p but it is what I did today.
What is QuickSand?
QuickSand is an alternative interface for KRunner, it is integrated in KRunner (the code is inside KRunner), and since the major part of KDE users seems to like the default interface almost nobody knows his existence :p, but it actually exists and I can prove it!
So what's up with QuickSand?
QuickSand is one of these software (or in this case a part of a program) which were developed in the early days of KDE4 and for some reason the maintainer(s)/authors are "missing" or are not taking care of that code anymore, this may seem sad but Hey! here is where the beautiful of the free software comes to the rescue, any interested developer can contribute and even adopt it.
What I did to QuickSand?
Basically what I did is some "maintarnership", removing/adding stuff here and there
- Unhardcoded all the colors (Now they are following the respective KDE/Plasma themes)
- Added a button to execute the system activity
- Tunned the interface a little bit
- Fixed some relayouting issues when accessing to the options
- Add "Esc" as a shortcut to close the interface (AAAAH! that was really needed)
- Fix the only known crash (Has been backported to 4.4.4)
- Some other minnors changes.
This is the result
I'll write an entire post about QuickSand, I think that it is an interesting concept and I may adopt it in the future (KDE 4.7 at least).
Tomorrow the hard work on Kamoso will start, stay tuned!